Larry Nobles Obituary

Return To Home Page     Return To Obituary Listings

Lawrence “Larry” Melvin Nobles, passed away on Sunday, Aug. 17, 2014, from a prolonged illness.

Larry is survived by his wife of 53 years, Cheryl (Sherry) Martin Nobles; his two children, Michael and Lisa; grandchildren, Savannah, Marty, Raleigh, and River.  He was preceded in death by his parents, Lawrence Albert Nobles and Juanita Huston Nobles, and two sisters, Carol Nobles McCarty and Linda Nobles Hardy.

Larry was born in the panhandle of Oklahoma in 1942 and moved with his family to Oak Ridge, Tenn., in 1953 because of the lasting effects of the Great Depression and the Great Dust Bowl. He graduated from Oak Ridge High School in 1960 and joined the United States Marine Corps right away. After active service he became a member of the Marine Reserves for 6 years.

Larry and Sherry were married in 1961. Larry worked for a gas station when they were first married, and he then went to work for a couple of years at Miller’s Department Store. In November 1965, he was hired by TVA in the Power Production Division. The Nobles family lived in Oak Ridge, Tenn., Greenville, Ky., Chattanooga, Tenn., Spring City, Tenn., and then, at Larry’s retirement, he and Sherry resided in Powell, Tenn., until the present day.

During his 30-year career with TVA, opportunity knocked for Larry when TVA promoted him into the Nuclear Power Division as a Nuclear Reactor Operator. He spent time studying and training for his NRC license. His devotion paid off well because he made the highest score on the licensing test that had been achieved up until that time, and as far as we know, no one has surpassed his score to date. Larry’s successful and long career with TVA allowed him to obtain the position of Plant Manager for Sequoyah Nuclear Power Plant. He retired in 1995.

Larry enjoyed an active lifestyle. He and his wife rode his 750 Honda motorcycle from Chattanooga, Tenn., to Daytona Beach, Fla., in the ’70s. They enjoyed a multiple country tour of Europe in the ’80s. He earned his Private Pilots License in 1985. He once flew from Knoxville, Tenn. to Charleston, S.C., to visit with his son. They took multiple road trips along the eastern coast and even enjoyed a brief stay at the Trump Plaza in Atlantic City.

He and Sherry often traveled to California to visit and travel with family. They both enjoyed several cruises in the ’90s. Another source of enjoyment was having their grandchildren over for weekend sleepovers and adventures. Larry spent his retirement years playing tennis with his friends, building a 1932 Ford street rod, working on projects around the house, playing poker and working on his coin collection.

The family will receive friends on Friday, Nov. 28, at 10 a.m. with a Memorial Service to follow at 11 a.m.  The family requests that memorials be made to the U.S. Humane Society, 2100 L Street NW, Washington, DC, 20037.